Friday, November 28, 2008

A Grateful Life


When I think of all that I am grateful for (and it's a lot!!), my mind always reverts to those who do not have what I have.

I am thankful for beautiful autumn decorations (which, sadly, I have to soon replace with others), but millions do not even have a house to live in, far less adorn with appealing decor.

I am thankful for the ability to sew attractive dresses for my sisters and I, while multitudes clothe themselves in rags.

I am thankful for a day to play games with my family...this Thanksgiving season, widows and orphans have felt the reality of being alone in the world.

And mostly, I am grateful for the mercy and forgiveness of my beautiful Savior. Millions have not had the opportunity to experience the Word of Life.

I have to admit when I think of those who do not enjoy the blessings of food to eat each day or a place to shelter them from the cold winds, no faces come to mind. I have not been among these people...perhaps to my shame. But I do know people who do not experience the joy and peace of Jesus. Several faces come to my mind, faces without hope who do not have the light of true love in their eyes. Is this because we do not go to them and embody Christ before their eyes? Is it because we avoid contact with them, thinking we are better than they?

I am a member of the body of Christ. Christ came to seek and save that which was lost. He had compassion on the multitudes. He had compassion on me. So now I have a responsibility.

"For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though He was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, so that you by his poverty might become rich." 2 Cor. 8:9

2 comments:

  1. In response to your comment, I am honored to allow you to post the poem or a link for the promotion of His Kingdom!

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment!

    This post is a beautiful look at thankfulness is intertwined with awareness of, and grief for, the suffering of humanity. Your question about avoiding contact with the hurting made me think of a question asked by an atheist who is very confused by how we Christians differentiate between words and actions: "Why do Christians avoid the very people they say they are trying to reach?"

    ReplyDelete