Sunday, March 1, 2009

Creative Block

I seem to have a major creative block lately...not only writer's block but "artist's block" in general. I cannot conceive of any decorations for this time of year that are both appropriate and beautiful. Hence, little or nothing has changed in the decoration scheme of this house since the day before Christmas. (Don't worry, there is not a dead Christmas tree in the corner or even any red ribbons to be found.) I am getting a little desperate because I am embarrassed to have company.

I can't even bake anymore. My latest cakes have been relative flops. (Meaning they tasted better than they looked and had crunchy edges.) I have been baking since I was seven. What is wrong??

And as evidenced by my somewhat stagnant blog, I can't come up with anything original to put on paper (or a computer screen). When I do write, all I can generate is cliches and probably the 100 most frequently used words in the English language.

Maybe with the advent of spring this haze will clear. I know that underneath the drabness I see, the earth is preparing for a glorious display of life. Maybe along with the warm spring breezes that breathe new life, the winds of creativity will again begin to blow in my soul. I hope so.

Perhaps the purpose of this stale season is to reinforce my dependence upon the Master Artist. Beauty does not originate with me or any other earthly artist. Our creative expressions, enabled by Him, are only pale, feeble imitations of His masterpieces. But I think He delights in our artistic attempts, as long as they are done to honor Him. I desire that in all aspects of life, my life would be a beautiful reflection of Jesus Christ.

"Let the favor (margin: beauty) of the Lord our God be upon us,
and establish the work of our hands upon us;
yes, establish the work of our hands!" Psalm 90:17 ESV

2 comments:

  1. I'd say the haze may already be clearing as you expressed yourself well in those last 2 paragraphs. Lord, may we never forget you are the author of all creativity!

    I know what you mean about the decorating- sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Carla. Sometimes it's hard coming up with something to write. The best advice I can give you is to relax; don't worry about it. At the right time, something inspirational will come to you. Whatever you do, don't force it because then you'll write yourself into a box and those are never fun to get out of.

    And if you're wanting decorations...I'd say go ahead and do some spring things--chicks, trees, flowers, bunnies--in pastels and pinks and purples.

    ReplyDelete